The History of Puisserguier and La Véronique
Puisserguier is a mediaeval village built as a circulade around its castle. As a settled Neolithic site, Puisserguier has a history from Gallo-Roman villas, Visigoth invasions, down to the Cathars besieged by Simon de Montfort and pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostela. Brother Clement de Puisserguier gave his name to a tasty variety of mandarin oranges we now know as Clementines.
Situated in a pine wood above Puisserguier, sitting on the tumulus of a Roman temple, is the priory of Saint-Christophe built in the 17th century. Just down the hill from the priory is Domaine La Véronique which is believed to have been the nunnery linked with Saint-Christophe. Story has it that there is a connecting tunnel between the two!!
The nunnery of Domaine La Véronique, eventually became a wine domaine, and was split in to three houses. In the mid 1900’s it was left to fall in to disrepair. There was little of the building left! Just three walls!